Login | Register


All times are UTC + 1 hour


It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 23:07 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Enlighten Me.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:56 am 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 17:39 pm
Posts: 29
So this is going to be my 4th consecutive thread in this section. (Can other people please start posting stuff so I don't feel like a babbling loser?) This time, I'd just like to bring up a few units I feel serve no to very little purpose. I may suggest changes for some, but for the most part I would just like to know if anyone else puts these units to use.

  • Assassin: 200 hp, and a poisonous melee for 20 damage? I may be missing something here, but this unit feels sadly weak to me. Can anyone tell me how deadly the poison is? Maybe they would be cooler if, I don't know, they appeared as friendly workers to the enemy.
  • Tracker Dino: I recently was disappointed to discover this unit has no rhyme or reason to its efforts and died after a short lifespan. I'm just going to suggest that their lifespan gets removed and they "sniff" their way over to find the enemy. Enough said.
  • Undead Warrior: They are so slow, you need a transport to carry them to battle. Anything in the game is fast enough to escape them if they are overran. My best suggestion is this: make them effective against buildings. It makes perfect sense to me. If my fellow players have a practical application for this unit, I really want to hear about it.
  • Poisoner: I really want to like this unit. They are the Dustrider's specialist, after all. No matter what I try, though, my poisoners always get killed before they can attack, making them one of the most frustrating units in the game. I even have tried using transports to get in close, and that still didn't work. They need a buff, that's all. (Health, armor, or speed.)
  • James Warden: Don't get me wrong, Warden is probably my favorite hero. I find him to be super helpful as a savage Dustrider thanks to his Level 5 bonus. (Brachi for 800 food? Hell yes!) I even deal with his useless trackers he unlocks to get that cavalry discount.(Though his NM and DC unlocks are pretty cool.) Here's what I hate about him: his military bonuses are about the same as any other hero, but he is awful in combat. Cole is just a bit short of a T-rex, but Warden is an unlucky rhino at his best. Oh, and his special power? I have never noticed any effect from it. Form what I've seen, it is broken.

I've still got more ranting to do, (poor you guys) but I'm done for now. On the other hand, I've gotten around to embracing units I previously hated. (Ankleo catapult, scouts, spearmen, sumos) I'm sure every unit can be useful with some wisdom or patches, but until then, I got this thread.

_________________
"When the blood in your veins returns to the sea, and the earth in your bones returns to the ground, perhaps then you will remember that this land does not belong to you, it is you who belongs to the land." -Native American Proverb


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Enlighten Me.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:53 am 
- Mod -
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 15:44 pm
Posts: 13992
Location: Seldwyla
OPSTF wrote:
(Can other people please start posting stuff so I don't feel like a babbling loser?)


We already did, now it's your turn. :P just check my postcounter.

Quote:
Assassin: 200 hp, and a poisonous melee for 20 damage? I may be missing something here, but this unit feels sadly weak to me. Can anyone tell me how deadly the poison is?


Let me do the math for you. One hit damages the enemy unit and poisons it. The poison drains 20 hp / sec for 100 seconds. 100*20 = 2000, + 20 = 2020. So with 1 hit, the assassin can deal 2020 points of damage. That's about 6 times the amount a fully equipped T-rex titan can do. It's a hit and run unit, perfect for dropping enemy DR bases and killing their hq. Once the assassins hit their target, they can die for they have completed their job. They have low hp so the enemy has a chance of killing them before they attack and poison too many units. Assassins are also great against workers, hit each worker once and they'll definitely die.

Quote:
Maybe they would be cooler if, I don't know, they appeared as friendly workers to the enemy.


This idea seems pretty cool to me. Henry?

Quote:
Undead Warrior: They are so slow, you need a transport to carry them to battle. Anything in the game is fast enough to escape them if they are overran. My best suggestion is this: make them effective against buildings. It makes perfect sense to me. If my fellow players have a practical application for this unit, I really want to hear about it.


In Mirage they're faster. They were meant to be used as defensive units (10 of those buried before your gates might give your opponents a bad time as they will have to fight off 10*3000 = 30 000 hitpoints. Plus your "real" army.
But their speed was actually annoying to me, too. We changed it to the speed of e.g. a brachiosaurus, which he used to have in PW1.0 and nerfed his stats so he can be more versatile.

Quote:
Poisoner: I really want to like this unit. They are the Dustrider's specialist, after all. No matter what I try, though, my poisoners always get killed before they can attack, making them one of the most frustrating units in the game. I even have tried using transports to get in close, and that still didn't work. They need a buff, that's all. (Health, armor, or speed.)


They need to be weak for they are a gambling unit. They're used to battle in 1on1 games, where they can be really useful in killing off an infantry army. The enemy has to attack the poisoner right away, that's the thrill: Will he die before or after releasing his poison? If it wasn't for that thrill, that unit would simply be overpowered. The area he effects with his poison is a radius of 15 meters and therefore even higher than the DC rocket ramp damage area. He's also good to drop and kill workers and trade carts to cut off your enemies' resource supply.

btw Henry, how about making the NM trade carts not a VHCL but an CHTR? Then they would be affected by poison, too, like the other 3 tribes.

Quote:
James Warden: Don't get me wrong, Warden is probably my favorite hero. I find him to be super helpful as a savage Dustrider thanks to his Level 5 bonus. (Brachi for 800 food? Hell yes!) I even deal with his useless trackers he unlocks to get that cavalry discount.(Though his NM and DC unlocks are pretty cool.) Here's what I hate about him: his military bonuses are about the same as any other hero, but he is awful in combat. Cole is just a bit short of a T-rex, but Warden is an unlucky rhino at his best. Oh, and his special power? I have never noticed any effect from it. Form what I've seen, it is broken.


afaik he's stronger in CEP.. his lvl3 is good for big battles, enemy mounted units won't be able to deal damage for some time, that's extremely useful. You might not see it because infantry units can still damage you.

_________________
Image
Image
2nd Place Johnnyzocker's Tournament 2008.
2nd Place Saturday Battle Tournament 2010.
3rd Place X-Mas Tournament 2010.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Enlighten Me.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 22:26 pm 
- Admin -
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 14:17 pm
Posts: 1969
Yes, Warden is much stronger especially vs animals in CEP.

AFAIK the poisoners were patched in the boosterpack to poison on death?

_________________
I've never seen code like this.

CEP Moddb | CEP download
ParaWelt TicTacToe | Multiplayer TicTacToe/4 gewinnt/etc v1.2


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Enlighten Me.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 18:29 pm 
- Mod -
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 15:44 pm
Posts: 13992
Location: Seldwyla
Uhm, I killed some and they didn't blow.. also after boosterpack.. :-?

_________________
Image
Image
2nd Place Johnnyzocker's Tournament 2008.
2nd Place Saturday Battle Tournament 2010.
3rd Place X-Mas Tournament 2010.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: