Trying to run ParaWorld under Win7 Pro x64 - no go, why?

Kangarus

Trying to run ParaWorld under Win7 Pro x64 - no go, why?

Post by Kangarus »

Hey,

I bought a legit copy of ParaWorld about near the time it first was released here in Australia, and I cannot for the life of me get it to work under Windows 7. It ran fine on all my previous computers starting from an XP desktop back about when it was released all the way to my most recent Vista machine but it refuses to run under Windows 7. No loading screen, not even an error message. Nothing.

Is there any chance I could get the game to run, without downloading no-CD cracks? Although I've got McAfee I still would prefer not to risk getting a virus on my computer...

My computer is an ASUS G60 series machine with an Intel Core i7 CPU and a NVidia GTS 360M graphics card, which makes it a very high-end gaming computer as far as laptops go. It runs a lot of my other games of similar vintage to ParaWorld very well...and yet it can't run ParaWorld at all.

Is it some software bug, or is it hardware? I've no idea... :?
demetrius

Re: Trying to run ParaWorld under Win7 Pro x64 - no go, why?

Post by demetrius »

i run too paraworld on win7 x64 ultimate,but i run on pc,e8400 gtx 260 with no problem did you tryed compatibility mode??
Kangarus

Post by Kangarus »

I just finished a reinstallation procedure (but I haven't exited Setup yet) as of time of writing; the Program Compatibility Assistant is totally blocking the use of two drivers which I guess to be absolutely essential to the running of ParaWorld:

lirsgt.sys
atksgt.sys

What are these drivers and where can I get Win 7 x64 compatible versions?

EDIT: Tried installing the latest TAGES x64 and running ParaWorld on a Windows XP compatibility setting and administrator permissions. Nothing, not even a splash screen or error message. So I'm guessing those .sys files I mentioned are the problem. Something about requiring signed driver versions of the aforementioned .sys files as shown above. Again, where may I obtain such new files? My copy of ParaWorld is a legitimate copy bought from a store in Australia (where I am from and where I've lived all my life). It seems from what I've heard the only feasible way to fix the problem is to use a no-CD patch; I'm a little skittish about that since sometimes such things can have viruses...
Triceratops
- Mod -

Post by Triceratops »

Hi Kangarus, you are right. Causing your problems are 32-bit copy-protection drivers from Paraworld's original shop version. We have yet to find a way that let's you remove these drivers from a windows 7 system after they were accidently installed/blocked by compatibility manager. Maybe it does work with Windows System Recovery tool? If you are able to fix that, do it and please report how. There is a way to do it for sure

For Windows 7 users: You must install the newest TAGES drivers from www.tagesprotection.com/ before installing the game from DVD!

I highly suggest buying Paraworld Gold without copy protection. It is available on gamersgate.co.uk for 7.99 british pounds. I bought it even though I'm from Germany. No problems with it so far
Kangarus

Post by Kangarus »

Is it a download or a disc?

Furthermore, I don't have a credit card, my father (the one who handles such transactions on a 'I get it for you, you pay me back' basis) is currently overseas in the United States. The exchange rate for that - ~£8.00 at current exchange rates goes to about ~AUD$12.85 - which I can afford, but I do not have a credit card with which to purchase the game. I'm wondering, does GamersGate accept bank transfers? I have an online account with an Australian-based bank and at the moment may be able to effect such a transfer, but it's only good to me if it's a direct download and I can use a bank transfer (I can't afford a credit card and I don't have a standard debit card that acts like a credit card).

EDIT: I found it's a download. I can't pay for it myself however; while I have a PayPal account it has not been used in ages and I would rather not use it (last time I used it, I had a lot of issues - but I was fortunate enough to be able to balance the books and avoid any legalities biting me in the rear-end), but I don't have a credit card as that sort of luxury is out of my price range (besides, a credit card would be a liability for me at this time as though my father is financially well-off due to being an expert blue-collar type supervisor on rigs (basically he's a well-promoted roughneck in the oil industry), I myself am not so financially well-positioned - I'm soon to go back to study as a mature-age student anyway.
Triceratops
- Mod -

Post by Triceratops »

Kangarus, don't worry. Join our chat: http://www.para-welt.com/tavern/

We'll try to help you

*I removed a bit of text from your post to secure infos from search engines*

See you later
Anakey
- Honorable Old Guard -

Post by Anakey »

if the problem is just removing those 2 .sys files then those should be able to be removed with a program called Unlocker as this will allow you to delete files if the system is keeping them used for some reason

Thanks to Henry for making the animation
Kangarus

Post by Kangarus »

Removed the two files in question, reinstalled TAGES - still doesn't even give a splash screen.

Tried installing the 1.01 patch but no help there either.

Maybe I'll just have to accept the program is incompatible with Win7 Pro.

EDIT: Or, maybe it's that I can't enter the serial key in. I have a legit CD key. I conclude maybe all I have to do is enter the CD key into the program somehow and it will run. But I don't even get access to a CD-key entry screen, so how can I feed the ParaWorld program the CD key if I can't enter it in how it usually is?
AnthonyCole
- Admin -

Post by AnthonyCole »

You can only play a non-cd/dvd version of Paraworld on Win7.
Rapator

Post by Rapator »

AnthonyCole wrote:You can only play a non-cd/dvd version of Paraworld on Win7.
I didn't know there were non-cd versions, aside from pirated downloads. Is it on Steam or some service like that?

I'm getting a new computer with Win7, but it's going to be x32, not x64, which apparently means that more things that ran on XP will run on Win7. Hopefully this might include Paraworld.
Today is a beautiful day to be stomping on things! As a dinosaur, stomping is the best part of my day indeed!
Triceratops
- Mod -

Post by Triceratops »

http://www.gamersgate.co.uk
http://www.gamersgate.com

I recommend to take Paraworld Gold, as the other one has not been tested by us. And this doesnt mean the game will work on Windows7, we had several users who cannot play it even with a legal nocd version :-(

Return to “English”